Alison has been through some massive and difficult life changes over the last two years. But now she is ready. Read on to find out why 2015 is her year and how she is making the world a better place…
When Amica offered me the opportunity to put pen to paper (or in my case tapping out on the keyboard!) I jumped at the chance. Amica has grown to be a place of support, insight but most importantly friendship.
And that’s when I started to freak out. So many women I have the honour of calling friends and work colleagues have found their niche, some even having contributed to Amica. I love watching and reading about their journeys through their blogs, articles and great advice from women who come from all walks of life.
Yep I froze…what was it that I had to offer? I’m not particularly funny or dare I say talented and as I recently reflected with a close friend am still waiting to find the one thing I’m really good at!
Recently divorced, no children (two furbabies if this counts), a workaholic and almost 32 years had me thinking I probably wasn’t an expert on much. But then things changed…
After spending the good part of two years going through a pretty messy separation (yep there may be some of you reading and hearing this for the first time) and cutting myself off from the outside world, I decided enough was enough. I was unhappy, exhausted but sadly had become an angry person who internalised everything. I’d sleep away the weekends and spent 12-14 hours a day at work (yep pretty sad aren’t I).
On some of my darkest days I’d screen calls from family and loved ones, hideaway from the world and hope that my nightmare would go away…that’s when I realised it wasn’t.
When I finally stopped blaming and realised only I could start to rebuild my life,my mindset started to shift. I’ll be honest it didn’t happen overnight. There have been lots of tears, good days and lonely days but what I’ve learnt all on my own is:
- I am stronger than I think…yep my world fell apart in 2013. hurt by someone I trusted the most and had my heart broken into a gazillion pieces. Only with time and hindsight have I been able to reflect on things and see people for their true worth. No one can or will do this to me again. I deserve better.
- Don’t compare my life to others…we are all on a different journey and life continues to test us all in different ways at different times.
- My dreams of 5 years ago aren’t the same anymore…but guess what?! I am creating new ones…ones that nurture my heart and mind. Dreams that go beyond buying the latest sass and bide outfit or Mimco bag (for the record I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with this!). Dreams that contribute to making the world a better place.
- Family will stand by me no matter what…whether it was 2am phone calls to my brothers or Dad driving to see me in the middle of the night, my family have never let me down. I hope they know how much I love them.
- We are only given what we are ready for…my journey in 2015 has only just begun! This is my favourite!
- One of the most courageous decisions you will ever make is to finally let go of whatever is hurting your heart and soul…this has been the hardest one of all.
- Listen to my heart…it never lies.
And this is where number 7 has led my so far in 2015… learning Italian (my dream holiday is to spend 6 months in Italy), started dance lessons, started yoga, finally got a new job (woo hoo!), volunteering and travelling to Ethiopia (yep you heard correct Ethiopia) in May.
Now I won’t lie – I am a little scared and Mum has been really good at sharing her concerns with me as well! But part of my healing process I have decided,is giving back to the world. I have had an amazingly privileged upbringing not wanting for anything but somehow felt there was something bigger for me but most importantly bigger than me…how grateful I am to be given this experience.
So if the first few weeks of 2015 are anything to go by I am off to a roaring start! You can read more about the journey I am embarking on through the Business Chicks Immersion and Leadership Program here .
I have committed to raising $10 000 for The Hunger Project Australia. If you are able to contribute I’d be so grateful for your financial support. The money I raise will go to do amazing things and give those less fortunate than you and I a real opportunity.
And finally my mantra for 2015…to make a difference in someone’s life, you don’t have to be brilliant, rich beautiful or perfect. You just have to care.
Is 2015 a new beginning for you? What are your dreams for this year? Please let us know by leaving a comment!